You can read about our first appointment with the fetal medicine specialist (fms) here.
Our second appointment was on Monday morning where we received more concerning and difficult news. Eisley is now measuring dangerously behind. Her body only grew 5 days of the past two weeks of bedrest, leaving her 1 month behind. Her abdomen is measuring 3 weeks behind and her head is measuring 2 weeks behind. Originally our fms, Dr. Daye, thought that the placenta could be the problem (the clots I had early on damaged the placenta), but she couldn’t rule out a chromosome problem. So two weeks ago I had my blood drawn and the tests came back normal, which I thought meant that we were out of the clear with a chromosome problem. It doesn’t rule it out completely, in fact the blood test can only detect 80%, meaning there is still 20% they are unsure of.
Since Eisley is measuring so far behind now, Dr. Daye said she is getting mixed signals of it being a placenta problem and/or a problem with the baby. She told us she is now more concerned about it being a chromosome problem or a syndrome of some kind. The only way to tell for sure is to do an amniocentesis which is a “prenatal test that allows your healthcare practitioner to gather information about your baby’s health and development from a sample of your amniotic fluid. This is the fluid that surrounds your baby in the uterus”.
Even though the amniocentesis would determine the problem specifically, it would not help Eisley, it would just help Dr. Daye know of what to rule out and how to prepare us (if we need it). Ted and I feel, as of right now, we do not want the amniocentesis because it doesn’t actually help Eisley and there is a risk of losing her just by doing the test. I don’t feel it is absolutely necessary because regardless of a chromosome problem or not, it wouldn’t change anything for us or for this pregnancy. There would be nothing they could do until she was born anyways.
So, as for delivering early… we still aren’t sure. The earliest they say they can deliver a baby is 24 weeks, however since Eisley is only 1/2 a pound and behind in measurements, they would not be able to deliver until a further date. If she were to come now, she would not make it.
I am on bedrest and drinking a lot of water which it supposed to help blood flow to the placenta. We are “waiting it out”, hoping she will soon show some improvement in growth. Please pray for a miracle in the growth of Eisley so we can at least deliver early and if we could make it to December when she is full term, I would love that miracle even more. PLEASE pray!!
When Dr. Daye was talking with us about all of the above, I just felt sick to my stomach and faint. You hear of things like this, but you just never think this will happen to you. I still can’t really express how we are doing and if you could please pray for us and the decisions we might have to make during this pregnancy. Ted and I are really trying to swallow everything and to seek peace but it is extremely frightening to just “wait it out” until they can do anything to try and save her. We’re holding on to hope and so thankful for our little strong girl.
Her name fits her perfectly, even Dr. Daye said she is a strong one. Please pray for our Eisley Antalya!!